Rochford District Council is holding an Extraordinary meriting on Tuesday 29 January to approve (or not) the medium term financial strategy. The details can be found here and the actual resolution (to be agreed) is as follows.
It is proposed that the Council RESOLVES to agree-:
(1) The Medium Term Financial Strategy for 2013/14 to 2017/18 including the proposals contained within this report, with the following key budgetary changes for 2013/14:
(a) Reduce the draft budget for the cost of the Grounds Maintenance Contract by £117,000.
(b) Increase the budget for Bulky Waste income by £4,000.
(c) Increase the budget for sales of logs/kindling by £5,000.
(d) Increase in the salary budget for Economic Development of £32,300
(2) The core estimates for 2013/14 as shown in the attached Draft Budget Book
(3) The 2013/14 Council Tax for Rochford District Council will be £205.11 for a Band D property.
(4) The schedule of fees and charges for 2013/14.
(5) The Capital Programme.
(6) The use of Earmarked Reserves.
(7) The Non Domestic Rates Return that must be submitted to the Department of Communities and Local Government by 31 January 2013.
(8) That from 2014/15 the Head of Finance be delegated to set the amount of LCTS grant to be allocated to individual parish/town councils on the basis of the principles agreed by Council.
(9) That with effect from 1st April 2013 properties under Section 11A of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 and fall within Class B of the Council Tax (Prescribed Classes of Dwellings (England) Regulations 2003 classified as unoccupied and furnished (Second Homes) receive a Council Tax discount of 10%
(10) That with effect from 1st April 2013 properties in need of major repair, as defined under Section 11A(4A) of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 and fall within Class D of the Council Tax (Prescribed Classes of Dwellings) (England) Regulations 2003 receive a Council Tax discount of 100% for twelve months
(11) That with effect from 1st April 2013 properties which are unoccupied and substantially unfurnished, as defined under Section 11A (4A) of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 and fall within Class C of the Council Tax (Prescribed Classes of Dwellings) (England) Regulations 2003, receive a Council Tax discount of 100% for a period of six months after which a discount of 50% will apply for a further six months
(12) That with effect from 1st April 2013 properties which are long-term empty dwellings for over a period of two years, under Section 11B of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 will not be charged a Council Tax premium.
(13) That the level of Council Tax discounts and exemptions will be reviewed during 2013/14.
(14) That the Pay Policy Statement for 2013/14 be adopted with, as required by the Localism Act 2011, submission of the 2014/15 being made to
As a Conservative controlled council it seems they have rejected Government policy and are proposing to increase Council Tax by 1.969% rather than freeze it and accept a government grant equivalent to a 1% rise in the Council Tax.
It will be interesting to see if any changes are proposed on the evening by members to this or any of the above items.
The meeting is to be held in the Council Chamber, Civic Suite, Rayleigh and starts at 7.30pm.